Friday, July 26, 2013

The Sims / Jem and The Holograms Bender

Hello My Lovelies!

For those of you that know me personally, you know I am OBSESSED with Jem and The Holograms. And (embarrassed to admit) I've had some Jem fan fiction in the works for quite some time. Every few weeks or so I'll get the itch to write out a few scenes or flesh out some new ideas, but it hasn't ever been a sit-down-and-write-until-it's-completed type of gig. I'm not even sure I'll ever fully complete any piece of it, or publish it, for that matter. But for now it's just a fun hobby I can keep coming back to when it tickles my fancy. 

However, the past few days have been quite interesting as I've been consumed by the idea of recreating the characters in my Sims universe. And those of you that know how I feel about The Sims, know that combining these two obsessions leads to an unhealthy weekend of junk food, poor circulation, no socializing, and the occasional trip to the restroom (which really should be more frequent). But at least I'm drinking water, right??

But what this post is about really, is the nature of creativity. The number one rule that all successful writers live by is to write no matter what. And that may seem easier than it actually is. Well, at least for someone like myself that edits themselves before anything is ever written. I can sit at the computer for an hour and will talk myself out of many plot changes, only to lose my inspiration out of frustration. Thus losing the original idea (that put my butt in the chair in the first place) and never having written a single word. It's a nasty, vicious cycle.



That being said, I've just recently finished a book by Keith Sawyer called Zig Zag: The Surprising Path To Greater Creativity, where he explains about this very subject. And not just about writing, but about all things creative. He explains that the underlining theme of what keeps creative types creative is switching to another art form. When you've hit a road block, it's imperative that you keep up with the "write no matter what" rule. That doesn't necessarily mean starting a completely new project. But instead, it is re-imagining your existing project in another form. That way, something new may arise out of this other form that you can apply to the original. Thus, keeping you in a disciplined work ethic.

This has kept me trudging along on my JATH fan fiction by creating the characters in the Sims universe, and having them to interact with once another. My goal is to watch closely to their actions/reactions and hope it will spark some new ideas. But for now, they're just a lot of fun to play.  :)

Learn more about keeping your creative motor running HERE..

And.... those of you who have a hankering (and the pocketbook) for some new Jem stuffs, Integrity Toys has begun launching some re-imagined JATH doll collectibles!




Love Always~
Pammy <3

No comments:

Post a Comment